Baumgardner's post-spring depth chart

Home Forums Forum Baumgardner's post-spring depth chart

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      umbig11
      Participant

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind…s_spring_depth_chart_m.html#incart_river_home

He is pretty close. They do love Woods back there, not as much love for JKP although his future is bright. The back up WDE will be up for grabs this fall. Myers won’t hold off Solomon. I have Peters at 2 as well. Isaac and Higdon are interchangeable. RT goes to Runyan. WR’s and Slot seem correct. Dwumfour will back up Hurst as soon as he is healthy. Not quite sure he is right about Thomas backing up Hill just yet. Thomas and Watson will battle for that Nickel. McRay will be backed up by Mbem-Bosse or Mason. Hell Mason might get a shot at Wroblewski too. Gil will likely contribute heavily on special teams only. Uche and Furbush will play.

umbig11
      Participant

I should also mention that there is no guarantee that Malzone, Ways, or Perry will be around in the fall.

Thunder
      Keymaster

I know some people were down on Mason after the spring game, but I thought he looked pretty good. I don’t know if he’ll be ready this year, but I think Michigan got themselves a good player with him.

umbig11
        Participant

Don Brown loves him. Not sure why people were down on him. After all it is his first spring and this kid is physical!

Lanknows
          Participant

Probably because people have been saying he should move to FB since the day he committed.

Anonymous
          Inactive

That seems rather strange to me, Thunder, if for no other reason he was a gift, a gift with a lot of potential. After reading some of the posts I’ve read lately, I know I should probably be past that surprised stage, but I really see no downside to convincing this young man to play FB at Michigan, none.

Anonymous
            Inactive

I keep getting the same post to reply to, regardless of the one I hit but this is in regard to Lanknows and fans trying to get Mason to the FB position, even though we have a slimmmed down version of the td maker in Hill and a fellow name Poggi that will simply knock the dog shit out of you. Add to that umbig11’s mention of Brown loving him and, unless I’m wrong I believe, again going off of Brown’s word, “He’s a real tough guy. I think we’re going to get a lot out of him.” Brown, in one season, had the players he needed and put a game plan together that was definitely quality enough to beat our rivals. Something tells me Harbaugh pays attention to what this man says.

umbig11
              Participant

He was getting a look on both sides of the ball this spring. He has good hands too. He caught a few ball out of the backfield at several practices. However, he is pushing MBem-Bosse really hard at LB. He is ahead of Gil already.

Lanknows
              Participant

I’m not trying to get him to FB. I’ve disputed the assumption that he will, in part because he isn’t the right size, and in part because these sort of projections have been wrong before (Shallman, Davis).

Lanknows
              Participant

That said, I’m fine if he does move. By fall we will have an abundance of young LBs for 2 spots and no clear heir (yet) at FB.

WindyCityBlue
          Participant

Just seems like we’ve been relying on too many guys like Mason lately…lower rated guys who are “tough”, “gritty”, “hustler”, “hard worker”, but who just simply lack the speed and athleticism to get it done against elite competition. Coaches and fans like their attitude and work ethic, and they make some plays and look pretty good out there, but just not enough.

umbig11
        Participant

Are you going to build a two deep for the front page?

Thunder
          Keymaster

I was going to do it around the middle of the month, but you can if you want.

Anonymous
          Inactive

Excdellent point, WCB. Everyone from every fan base love those young men who are incredibly hard workers and prove it day after day. However, as you said, at this level, there comes a point where a strong work ethic is always necessary, but those with the work ethic and degree of talent necessary are going to win out.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.