2016 DT Chris Daniels

Home Forums Forum 2016 DT Chris Daniels

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      NaptownBlue12
      Participant

Alright, I’ll do it, I’ll be the first one!

I wanted to start a discussion about the 2016 DT who is currently visiting and considers Michigan his childhood favorite. He grew up in Michigan, but now plays in Texas. His Hudl highlights are set to private, so instead here is a short highlight reel from ESPN.

I really like what I see. He has a huge frame and is ridiculously strong. On several occasions in his reel he tosses an interior lineman into the back field. I also like how violent his hands are, but I’ll admit that I can’t really judge if he’s using them correctly. Lastly, his motor is ridiculous. There are several plays in another reel (paywalled on Rivals) where he chase it down on the opposite side of the field, or peels off to follow the play down field.

The one weakness I see is that he pops straight up at the snap. He is so strong that it doesn’t affect his ability at the HS player, but it will be a problem for a college player. Also, if they want him to play NT he will need to add more weight.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Thunder. Reason: clarified thread title
      BlueCube
      Participant

I’ll be interested in others impressions, however one thing you didn’t mention is that he is doing it against some of the toughest competition you can find in high school. He is playing in the top bracket in Texas and, from what I read elsewhere, one of the toughest conferences. It’s still high school and I assume he will need to correct some things going forward.

Greemsnprpho;;

Would love to have him in class. I heard he’s a take, even w/ Gary still on the board. . . and why wouldn’t he be!!! If he is a viable option and he does commit, I guess that’ll take away from another position.

Thunder
      Keymaster

I agree with your assessment on Daniels, for the most part. Athletically, he’s a significant step down from Gary, I think. Daniels is very strong, but he’s not as explosive as I would like him to be. I do see him as a nose tackle for that reason, and while he probably needs to put on a few pounds, not a great deal of additional weight would be necessary. Right now he’s listed at 299 lbs. and I think he could probably play at 305 or so.

NaptownBlue12
        Participant

Here goes a hypothetical. In a dream world where they reel in both Daniels and Gary, would they try Rashan at SDE? or just try them side by side at NT and 3T?

coachernie
      Participant

I do not see his *Star Ratings. Please post.

NaptownBlue12
        Participant

I’m not sure if you are serious or just being sarcastic. Anyways, he is a 4 star in the top 200 of all the sites. Also, just so you know all the rankings are free to view and easily google-able.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.