Is Ty Wheatley, Sr. leaving Michigan?

Home Forums Forum Is Ty Wheatley, Sr. leaving Michigan?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Thunder
      Keymaster

Thunder
      Keymaster

Alex Marvez is a Sirius XM radio host and Sporting News columnist. It’s not clear yet whether his report is accurate or not.

Wheatley has been at Michigan for two seasons. He was previously the RB coach for Doug Marrone at Syracuse and with the Buffalo Bills, and Marrone was just hired by the Jaguars. For a guy (Wheatley) who wants to bea head coach, it’s somewhat lateral to keep taking RB coaching jobs. It would seem like he should wait until a suitable OC job or run game coordinator job comes along.

Lanknows
        Participant

It’s not a lateral move to go from college to the NFL. Wheatley took a demotion to accept the Michigan job. He seemed to do so with some reluctance, and you can’t blame him given that fact.

But, as you said, if his goal is to be a head coach it would be a curious choice to go back to where he was in 2014. He’d have a much better shot of landing a MAC-level job by staying at the college level, developing recruiting ties, and learning under Harbaugh and company.

INTJohn
      Participant

And Ty Wheatley, Jr then to Tallahasee?

he adds to the rumor?……….INTJohn

je93
      Participant

We’d be losing a great recruiter (and a local legend), but this one seems worth believing… he’s at least interested, with all the twitter action involving WMU, his player (Smith) publicly supporting that move, and now this. Of course I’m assuming, but it can’t be easy watching Brown, then Drevno, and certainly Pep getting paid

GO BLUE

SinCityBlue
      Participant

I concur that his recruiting prowess will be sorely missed. I am puzzled about the lateral move as well, but there’s history there with Marrone so it kinda makes sense. My question is this, do you think he did a good job in his two years here with making the RB’s better? With DeVeon Smith, I don’t see any difference between this year and the last. Ty Issac? IDK…I guess he’s better since he protected the ball better. I will miss him though, my all time fave RB…

Thunder
        Keymaster

I do think he did a pretty good job. He got a couple of young guys ready to play (Evans, Higdon), I thought Ty Isaac improved, and De’Veon Smith seemed to read his blocks better this year. And the staff felt comfortable enough during that time to play at least four running backs. Some years we only really saw 2 or maybe 3.

Lanknows
      Participant

It’s very hard to assess recruiting impact. Michigan has done well in winning some recruiting battles for WRs but not so well at RB. Is Wheatley an impact recruiter? Open question.

It’s also hard to assess a RB coach’s impact on a RB. So much of running ability is instinctual, but some players develop patience. I’ve always believed the main thing RB coaches do is teach pass blocking and ball security. But that may be because Michigan had the same RB coach for a very long time and Fred Jackson excelled in that area.

If Wheatley moves on, I don’t think it’s a big hit. If they can get Greg Roman to replace him (assistant head coach/run game coordinator) with Drevno promoted to straight OC title that would be a big improvement in overall coaching chops in the staff. If they get someone else with a recruiting focus it could be an injection of fresh energy and ideas. You can trust Harbaugh to make a good hire.

INTJohn
        Participant

Roman was just hired by Brother John in Bawtamore. So doubt he’s coming to AA.

Hart would be an intriguing option and hope jimmy would at least talk with mike about it – even if only exploratory.

IMHO……….INTJohn

INTJohn
      Participant

Apparently, Wheatley’s contract with UM expired Thursday – so one can conclude he is now no longer obligated to UM.

Also, Thursday he was in Alabama meeting/recruiting with Nico Collins. Logistically, its only a slight detour too Jacksonville, Fl for an as of Friday/Weekend free agent Wheatley to meet/explore options with Jaguar officials.

Food for thought but I’m still waiting for some confirmation from somewhere………INTJohn

INTJohn
      Participant

Confirmed Wheatley is gone now lets bring in Mike Hart.

IMHO……..INTJohn

Lanknows
      Participant

Oh hey look Deveon Smith is tearing it up as soon as he steps out from behind the Michigan OL. We’re heard this one before.

Looks like we may get to ‘blame’ Fred Jackson for bringing another NFL RB to Michigan.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.