Jeremy Clark denied a 6th year

Home Forums Forum Jeremy Clark denied a 6th year

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Thunder
      Keymaster

Michael Spath, formerly of The Wolverine, says Jeremy Clark has been denied a 6th year of eligibility. That leaves Michigan very inexperienced at the cornerback positions.

SinCityBlue
      Participant

i feel some growing pains coming. Best hypothetical has Watson starting over David Long et al?

Lanknows
      Participant

CB Depth Chart (combined)

1. Hill
      2. Watson
      3. ….

throw up hands at a short list of inexperienced candidates. I would put Thomas over Long, Washington, and St. Juste but it’s pure guesswork.

Consensus opinion on Long was enthusiastic but usually you hear a lot more from an impact CB in his freshman year, even if he doesn’t play much. Everyone wants St. Juste to red-shirt but with only 6 CBs it’s doubtful. You need a 2-deep for boundary, field, and nickel. Some overlap with safety is possible but that position is thin too.

If anyone red-shirts it’s because they are behind schedule.

Best case scenario:

Thomas and Hill are starters – youthful mistakes happen but both appear poised for stardom.
      Watson offers veteran stability at nickel with JKP looking like an eventual heir.
      Long’s freshman year is deemed an anomaly, he pushes Thomas & Hill and is the clear #3.
      Washington is a capable backup, still raw but physically gifted, we see flashes – just give him a couple more years.
      St. Juste gets to red-shirt.

Lanknows
        Participant

The REAL best case might be Michigan landing Gay for the hybrid LB/DB spot, which would allow Metellus to stick at safety and perhaps free Hudson for a nickel role. If Michigan can use 3 safeties (Kinnell, Hudson, Metellus) more than it uses 3 CBs, we will likely be better off.

Thunder
          Keymaster

Yeah, I think Gay is the best case scenario, too, for the defense overall. I think he would play from day one. I’m not a big fan of Metellus right now, although he was just a freshman.

Lanknows
            Participant

Not only was he a freshman, he was a freshman safety thrust in a LB role on short notice. He isn’t Peppers (of course) but in the big picture his freshman year was highly encouraging.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.