Jeremy Clark Moved to Corner

Home Forums Forum Jeremy Clark Moved to Corner

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      TTB Andrew

Ira mentioned today on WTKA that Jeremy Clark is practicing at corner. This move seems to make sense, given the depth of the two positions. Although several schools were recruiting Clark to play linebacker out of high school, it looks like he’ll get a shot to add depth at corner.

Lanknows
      Participant

I don’t know what to think about his move. On one hand, it could reflect a lack of trust in the CBs beyond Lewis and Lyons. OTOH, it could just be that they like Wilson-Hill-Peppers so much they don’t see much opportunity for Clark at safety.

TTB Andrew

It’s hard for me to see Clark fighting through Wilson, Peppers, Hill and possibly even Thomas for much playing time at safety. With teams spending so much time in four and five-receiver sets, he might have a fighting chance at CB. Watson and Stribling both seem to have quite a bit of potential, but haven’t put it all together yet. After them is. . .Richardson? Taylor-Douglas? Dawson? At least Clark has logged some significant PT.

Ezeh-E
      Participant

I don’t know how much this factors into coaches decisions for player positions, but I would think it matters to have a solid second team for each position for practice so that the first and second team offense get the best opponents. So the second team nickel or dime might need one more corner, and–as y’all have noted–it’s Clark’s experience vs. Richardson/Dawson/Taylor-Douglas.

TTB Andrew

Yeah, my guess is that there are more players switching around in an effort to bolster competition and depth. Submarines can be mysterious.

Lou MacAdoo
        Participant

Yeah one of the coordinators said this the other day. I love that they’re trying everybody out at other positions. It seems like something a smart and thorough staff would do as they try to get to know everyone’s strength and weaknesses and build depth. Harbaugh!!

TTB Andrew

It seems like a smart move from a coaching standpoint, but also adds to the fun of following the team and it’s players. At least for me it does. Willie Henry to wideout!

Roanman
      Participant

Has anybody ever seen a 6’4″ corner? I can’t think of any corner anywhere that even approached that kind of height.

Thunder
        Keymaster

There are a few 6’3″ corners. I think Richard Sherman is 6’3″. Also, Lenny Walls (from Boston College and then the Broncos) was 6’4″.

Lanknows
          Participant

Tall corners has been the trend the last few years. Michigan under Hoke tried very hard to recruit them. It’d be a little tragic/ironic if they had one already in Clark.

The trend has continued so far under Harbaugh. These days it seems like coaches will settle for a ‘normal’ sized DB at safety (say 6’0 tall, the NFL norm) who can read plays quickly. Yet they want a longer (over 6′) tall CB who has the arms to jam WR at the line and the speed to make up ground once they head up field. They seem to welcome ‘raw’ athletes for the job.

This seems like a reverse of the 90s and 00s when you tended to see small CBs who could stay step by step with bigger WR but didn’t need to be real physical (these guys tend to be nickelbacks today) and the safeties tended to be bigger taller guys who could thump running backs near the LOS.

Don’t get me wrong, a talented athlete like Jourdan Lewis is still going to play, but in 2015 a guy who is 6’1 and runs fast in a line is going to get an opportunity he might not have gotten in 2005.

What I’d like to see going forward is most (if not all) of the DBs start working at CB and then move to Safety over time, just because safety requires so much more mentally.

Nick.
      Participant

Does this stick with your philosophy of guys moving forward in the defense are ok, but guys moving back in the secondary are usually bad signs?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.