More on building an OL.

Home Forums Forum More on building an OL.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      INTJohn
      Participant

More data on the signing of OL to add to past & recent threads. I looked at Fla.St., Ala, OSU, Clem, Ga, Stanford & USC as well as Mich. I probably should have looked at Tx, ND, OK Neb, Ore, Wis & Tenn too but this isn’t meant to be a dissertation but rather a comparison of Mich OL signing to a few of the more recent successful programs.

Apparently, the concept of signing, on average 5 OL per class is more of an Ideal than a reality as none of the programs I looked at have attained it. Since 2007 (when Ala hired Saban), Fla St leads by signing 50 OL – 4.55/ yr, Ala is second with 48 – 4.36/yr. Ga is 3rd with 47 – 4.27/yr and OSU, Clem, USC & Stan are all at 40 – 3.63/yr and Mich since 2007 comes in with 37 – 3.36/yr.

Saban has come closest to the 5/yr Ideal however as he’s signed that number in each of the last 5 years and 4 in the previous 2 -33 OL in the past 7 years or 4.71 per class.

Jimbo Fisher seems to have a different approach than Saban as Fisher signed 9 – YES NINE! OL in 2011 and 8 – YES EIGHT! OL in 2014. He signed only 1 OL in 2017 so look for Fla St. to sign at least 6 or 7 for the ’18 class.

Meyer’s hiring at OSU shows a model that seems to want to parallel that of Saban in that Meyer seems to be trying to get to that 5/yr Ideal that Saban has attained. In Meyers 6 years at OSU he’s signed 26 OL – 4.33/yr but 3 of the last 4 years he’s signed at least 5.

I won’t go into Michigan’s dismal OL results of the last 10ish years but rather a qwik glance at Harbaugh’s doings since his arrival. He’s signed 11 in 3 classes. 3.63/yr. Don’t look for anything much over that average for ’18 as its going to be a smallish class, tho they currently have 3 OL commits; 3 to 4 will probably be all they sign – Mich’s current average tho I’ld like to see them add 5………..

Data is from 247.

INTJohn

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.