QB Battle (Back-ups)

Home Forums Forum QB Battle (Back-ups)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      umbig11
      Participant

O’Korn and Peters continue to go back and forth and are in a battle to back up WS3. O’Korn has better command of the offense, but Peters has had a couple of days where he has gotten the better of O’Korn throwing the ball. Peters throws a very nice ball and it looks almost effortless at times. Peters is every bit as mobile as JO’K too. It will be interesting to see who comes out of spring with the QB #2 spot. My guess is that it will still be JO’K.

Thunder
      Keymaster

You’re going to get people excited…

Anonymous
        Inactive

umbig11, is Peters in danger of becoming a more talented version of Malzone or do you see him being ‘the guy’ next season? Thanks as always for your contributions!

Lanknows
          Participant

Malzone is not a reasonable comparison for Peters at this point. The talent difference is evident in his offers with Alzone’s best being Pitt and Wake Forest. For Peters it was LSU, VaTech, Wisconsin and a host of others.

More importantly… Malzone was 4th string (at best) in his RS FR year and never came close to challenging for a backup job. In order for Peters to be “Malzone”, Peters would need to be behind Malzone (which would make Malzone not the “Malzone” he is.

Instead Peters is supposedly close to O’Korn now even though everyone is back (except Morris). Peters is why Malzone is supposedly looking at a transfer. Nobody transferred because they got passed by Malzone. While it’s possible McCaffrey does the same thing to Peters, it’s way to soon to suggest that as a concern when things are (rumored to be) going well thusfar.

Peters not starting in 2018 next year doesn’t mean he’s ‘another Malzone’ anymore than it means he’s ‘another Brady’. Sometimes good or even great players have to wait their turn because they’re behind a vet getting the job done.

Lanknows
      Participant

Well that’s good news.

If Peters is going to be on track to replace Speight in 2019* he needs to be pushing for a backup spot as a RS FR, at least at times.

*That’s assuming Speight doesn’t go pro after 2017. An option that UM fans shouldn’t rule out given the NFL’s hunger for traditional passing QBs + the potential Harbaugh/Hamilton development + a guy who was all conference with sophomore eligibility.

WindyCityBlue
        Participant

Oh, good grief…did we not hear enough of this nonsense about Gardner? Speight is not going anywhere early, and he will be no better than 3rd or 4th round when he does go. Speight has limited accuracy and arm strength and he does not hit the deep ball consistently enough to make anyone in the NFL sit up and notice. He is definitely not a big game QB, and will be backup level if he gets drafted.

As far as the battle for backup goes, Peters and O’Korn may be close to each other, but do you have any confidence at all that either could engineer a touchdown drive if we needed them to? If Speight goes down, it’s a very big drop-off.

Thunder
          Keymaster

How many teams are supremely confident that their backup QB could drive down the field for a game-winning TD? Did you have that confidence in Wilton Speight before he did exactly that against Minnesota in 2015? Your expectations are unrealistic.

I suppose if we had Tom Brady backed up by Aaron Rodgers backed up by Ben Roethlisberger, maybe then you would be satisfied.

Lanknows
          Participant

You say 3rd or 4th round like that’s a bad thing. That would be great for Speight and for Michigan. Who was the last UM QB to get drafted that high? Have we had anyone who the NFL loved since Harbaugh? (who didn’t play baseball instead?)

I agree Speight has limited arm strength. I think the rest will improve.

I agree the drop off from a returning all conference QB will be significant. Going to be a strong backup situation though, comparing to most of our conference and most of our seasons. Wouldn’t you agree?

Anonymous
        Inactive

‘a more talented version of Malzone’, ie – a better player, but destined to never be the starter as the competition level and talent level continues to improve. Never compared Peters to Malzone in terms of talent, only as a participant in the depth chart. McCaffery may have the stuff to compete against and ultimately beat out Peters, though it would be a tall order. I’d love to see Peters grab the starting role next season, but he is going to have some healthy competition it seems. No matter the final results, it bodes well for the offense.

Lanknows
          Participant

There are a lot of career backups who are head and shoulders above Malzone, who probably didn’t belong on the roster of a Michigan program. No offense to the kid. Neither do I.

It’s obviously way too soon to know if Peters will start anytime. Again, Tom Brady. Not only that but look at what we thought of Wilton Speight. Peters is tracking way ahead of most of our recent QBs.

Lanknows
      Participant

The floor for QB performance in 2017 seems higher than it’s been in a long while*. When was the last time Michigan had an all-conference vet returning as a starter AND a legit competition between talent v. experience at the backup spot?

With Rudock you had a reliable player but the transfer situation and lack of viable backup made for uncertainty. With Robinson/Gardner you had 2 excellent talents, but the coaching situation was so bad it undermined the entire offense.

I think you have to go back to Henne/Mallet to find something close and Mallet was a true freshman who wasn’t ready yet. Probably 2005 (Guttierez/Henne) is the last time Michigan could feel so secure and I would argue Speight’s already hit a higher level than Henne had (2 years experience certainly a difference there).

You probably have to go back to 1999 (Brady/Henson) to have a year where Michigan was clearly more confident in it’s top 2 options than we will be in 2017.

*The OL could blow that to bits of course, as it did for Gardner.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Lan – agree completely about Peters and his trajectory. I liked the kid from the first time I heard Harbaugh started recruiting him (no bias on my part, I am suuuure…). Frankly, I expected Peters to beat out OKorn this year and there is still time for that to happen. That said, I am thrilled for Speight as he has clearly put space between him and the rest of the challengers.

Tim
      Participant

I hope Peters is ready to be the backup. Saturday’s spring game should allow Peters to really show his stuff.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.