Recruiting – State of Michigan

Home Forums Forum Recruiting – State of Michigan

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Burge333
      Participant

Hi All,

I love the passion a lot of you have for Um football. I have been following UM and recruiting for what seems like ever now. I was wondering if anyone has done an analysis of the value UM gets out of recruits from Michigan?

I know we always want the best players in Michigan to go to UM, is there a lot of value in that belief? I was looking through some old recruiting years and there doesn’t appear to be a large number of ‘hits’ in there. It made me wonder if Michigan is a bit overrated in terms of talent in state.

Even a lot of MSU’s better players are from out of state.

Thoughts or analysis on the topic?

Thunder
      Keymaster

Here’s an article from Business Insider that looked at the 1,700-ish players in the NFL and their home state. Michigan is well behind the top talent producers, but it’s actually #12, which isn’t bad.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-rosters-by-state-2016-9

Naturally, Florida, Texas, and California produce a lot more NFL talent, which we’ve known for a long time. That’s one reason why I like the Greg Frey hiring (Florida), and it would be nice if Michigan’s connections in Texas and California could lead to a few more signings from those states, too.

Lanknows
      Participant

I think the main argument is that it hurts MSU. I personally don’t care very much but it’s comforting when Michigan can get most of the guys they want in-state. Where it matters most is with elite prospects like DPJ.

Michigan has no real advantage to sell a anonymous 5-star recruit. You want elite academics – play at standard or Notre Dame. Huge rabid fanbase – Texas or Ohio State. Winning/NFL production – Alabama. National prestige – Notre Dame. Weather – USC. etc. So the times when you can have “home” on your side – you want to see that make a difference.

Ezeh-E
        Participant

Although Michigan isn’t #1 in any of the above categories (though we may be soon in NFL production), it is in the top 5 for all except weather and rabid fanbases, though the Big House makes up a good amount for not being Texas. I would think most recruits value more than one aspect of the school the play for.

Also, while Stanford is a solidly better academic school, Notre Dame isn’t that much better. UM has a chunk of majors and departments that are better than their counterparts at Notre Dame.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.