So now that we've landed Da Twins…

Home Forums Forum So now that we've landed Da Twins…

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      SinCityBlue
      Participant

I think Thunder mentioned that if we were to land these guys combined with Spider Sims, we would now have a plethora of CBs (7-9) for next year. Which one moves to safety?

Thunder
      Keymaster

German Green played some safety as a sophomore, so maybe he’s the one. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

Tim
      Participant

A few of the CBs can play safety. Sims and German Green both look like options back there. At this point I think the coaches are just trying to find long, rangy guys who can play multiple positions back there.

Lanknows
      Participant

That’s not too many. It let’s them red-shirt somebody, which isn’t necessarily ideal, but when you are taking talent below the blue-chip level it’s one way to get ahead.

Switching between safety and CB may make sense too, though as Thunder has pointed out before it hasn’t been all that common at Michigan lately unless you count Peppers as a CB to S mover.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I believe Hawkins will do well at safety. They young man has wr skills and the body of a very strong
      RB or light lber. He’s one hell of an athlete and by coming back he’s proven he likes AA and what it offers him. I believe withing two years he’s going to be one of our most dependable and best defenders. Speaking of which, Washington both surprised and impressed the hell out of me. There is another young man eager to log some pt which he’s going to get.

SinCityBlue
        Participant

Agreed. i mentioned this before, but i liked Washington in the spring game alot. i think he should be a starter although its a small body of work to go off of. Plus Harbaugh called out Lavert Hill for missing too many practices so you never know…

ragingbull
          Participant

didnt see harbaughs comments but zordich made similar remarks after the spring game in fairly candid, interesting interview (though i usually enjoy his media stuff – z shoots from the hip, hes just about as regular a dude as youll find, especially for ex pro athlete).

z said the DBs were making daily strides but had long way to go – and he went in depth re several of the DBs, progress, expectations, what theyre looking for, etc (and theres plenty of substance). if anyones interested and hasnt heard it he offers some informative replies. hes prob 2nd behind don brown in terms of best interviews (jay may be 3rd). both great dudes and great coaches. as i said when they hired z (and again when many said theyd rather zordich leave than jackson), harbaugh got a good one.

z said long and hill are gifted but need to find consistentcy and also learn how to play when uncomfortable. said both have been slightly dinged up. some reporter followed up asked him to clarify and z said by uncomfortable he meant learning how to and understaning the need to play hurt – its a tough, physical game and a long season, gotta tighten the straps at times and get the job done.

hopefully its just those dudes being cautious and still getting used to the grind of the college and whats expected of them rather than a reflection of toughness or whatever – bc both have the talent to make an impact, they just need the reps and then need to stay on the field. and hes right, its key to know how to play when slightly uncomfortable as its a tough game, a long season and after first few weeks everyone has some bump or bruise or tweak they could prob get away with icing or resting if they really wanted to. its difficult to make an impact from the sideline. and no one wants to be known as the guy always found in the non-contact jersey or working with trainers on the side when everyones grinding out sprints or popping the pads.

im not knocking anyone one way or the other, certainly not saying guys need to toughen up bc im not there, i dont know – but if several coaches are saying theyre disappointed someone cant or didnt go or whatever then it may be an issue to watch going forward. the guys mentioned are seemingly great kids and tough athletes so im sure theyll figure out what it takes, work their tails off this summer and make it happen during camp

Thunder
            Keymaster

I agree with this take. Zordich is a great interview. He’s not as flashy or funny as Don Brown or Jim Harbaugh, but he seems to be a straight shooter, like you said. Some coaches like to pretend everything is all sunshine and rainbows for the media, but Zordich gives you a chance to read between the lines without being openly negative.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.