Some recent rumblings

Home Forums Forum Some recent rumblings

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      umbig11
      Participant

Here are some names that have been mentioned recently. Players can move up and down all the time. Easy tot he corner in the summer and fall.

Hurst (UP)- doing the little things to improve
      Dwumfour (UP)- going to be really good. Super athletic for a big man. Can he stay healthy…
      Mone (DOWN)
      Solomon (DOWN)-has not been impressive in workouts. Needs strength.
      Gary (UP)- great offseason. Leading others.
      Winovich (UP)- dominating offseason workouts. Leading. 255 lbs. now
      Villain (UP)- spending a lot of time with Winovich learning. Showed up in great shape.
      Jeter (UP)- enrolling early helped him immensely. Big boy who can move. Will be interesting to see his growth. Making a push for top 8.
      Kemp (UP)- needed to get quicker/faster and has. Still room to grow. Mentally has improved as well. Big fall camp needed.
      R. Jones (DOWN)- high motor, but can the coaches rely on him? Lacks strength and is undersized. Hearing Furbush is going to get a look at DE. Can’t be good for Jones.
      Malone-Hatcher (DOWN)- Long way to go.

Kemp will be a stud! Jones just doesn’t have the size to compete inside. Hard worker though! Fursbush has been getting rave reviews from Don Brown and Mattison. Not surprised by the experiment at all.
      CMH has a long way to go physically, but a longer way to go mentally (maturity issues).

GKblue
      Participant

Has Mone reached his recuperative ceiling? Is he injured again? Or is our DL going to be so competitive that with the possible exception of Gary, first among equals will be high praise?

Too many people have been singing Solomon’s praises as though he has accomplished much against College level talent. Potential is there if he works for it.

Lanknows
        Participant

The bigger concern to me is maturity. Not necessarily a problem in the long-run but when you’re talking about ability to a different part of the country, transition to college life/freedom, AND eat some humble pie on the gridiron – that’s a lot for some kids to handle. It is likely to take time.

Mattison will sort out the performance and talent issues, I have no doubt, in the long run. It’s up to the kid to do the things he has to do to take advantage of the opportunity.

Painter Smurf
          Participant

CMH’s biggest concern is talent. He is enrolling as arguably the least talented DL in a large DL class. He will have a tough road to see the field.

Lanknows
          Participant

I was referring to Solomon, but the maturity issues can come up with any freshman.

ragingbull
      Participant

appreciate the info. hopefully dwumfour remains healthy and retains upward trajectory…they need him…and not just as a body to rotate in but a dude they can rely on to consistently do his job and make a few plays when possible.

not surprising you list solomon as “down”…hes a talented kid but still a true frosh who just arrived. he was highly rated and a huge signing for this staff but its not like he was on garys level (or lawrence at clemson, etc) so most should prob temper expectations…while he could and should eventually contribute this year, itll most likely be out of necessity due to depth chart so i wouldnt expect a ton. and even then it may be more of situational role.
      heres to solomon and hudson and jeter and the rest taking to tolbert and crew and busting it this summer while soaking up as much as possible from hurst and the older cats…bc they need a ton of technique work in addition to adding functional strength and quickness…and this team needs a few of those dudes to grow up quick and be comfortable enough to rotate in without losing their heads
      (this is where i wont mention losing guys like roseboro to nc st or not getting much of anything from marshall, johnson, jones, etc…good news is the less than stellar 2014 class and weak 2015 transition class likely wont be felt much beyond this year as large, talented 16 and 17 classes get up and running…they have the talent to make a nice bowl again this year but another handful of contributors from 14 and 15 certainly wouldnt hurt and would increase the margin error).

up or down, they obviously also need mone to contribute and remain healthy. any details re the “down” for mone? i realize theyre only doing offseason conditioning and whatnot so its easy enough to fluctuate at this point. and while mone has shown flashes in the past and been hyped for several seasons now, we havent seen him remain healthy or consistently impact long stretches of key games. i doubt mone will ever be the rock steady player glasgow proved to be, he just hasnt shown the consistent technique even when healthy…but if he can consistently play low and smart and do his job often enough (with a few splash plays here or there), thatd be huge. hell take incorrect steps, get trapped or play the wrong shoulder and the like more often than glasgow and other departing senior DL but mones still a massive, talented kid theyre likely really counting on.

turn on tape from last year and youll see multiple DL winning matchups and getting off blocks to impact plays on majority of snaps, and usually within the scheme. winovich or hurst, etc occasionally got a little lax with their responsibilities while trying to get after it but for the most part that D was rock solid. sure, they had a lot of future pros and a really sound secondary but they consistently made it happen up front, playing their keys and shutting down the run on the way to the passer.

i expect hurst, gary and winovich to do the same this year…can dwumfour, kemp, mone and a few others eventually get close to that point? i think kemp could be really good, especially in a reserve role at anchor, and all indications point to a dwumfour being a steady presence if hes healthy. they really did have close to 2 starting DLs last year with those 7-9 guys and while i wouldnt expect to see that again any time soon, theyre still talented and should be ok up front. hopefully they remain healthy as a group and mattison and brown can coach up a few guys to be serviceable bc that unit could be pretty darn good…and if so, it only helps a talented but inexperienced secondary.

cant wait to see how it all plays out though! competition will be fierce

Lanknows
        Participant

Mone really is in a different boat than Kemp and Dwumfour. He’s done it in the past. It’s about taking the next step that the great ones take to be consistent and resilient.

I agree Dwumfour is a critical player.

I maintain that the combination of Mattison, size/talent, and a bunch of options (i.e., competition) all but ensures that Michigan will put together a pretty solid group of backups to rotate in.

ragingbull
          Participant

agreed. and yes mone differs from those 2 in that hes done it in the past, hes played and looked solid with some splash plays here and there. he just has not done it consistently, injured or not. hopefully he can do both this year…stay relatively healthy and play mostly consistent ball.

i agree mattison should be able to field competent reserves given the talent on hand…though id certainly feel better about it if he had another 1-2 DL that hed already put thru the paces for at least a year (maybe from those 14 and 15 classes) rather than relying on several frosh to fill out the top 7-9 DL which looks like will be the case.

furbush getting a look at DE makes sense. he likely struggles to see the field at LB (unless injuries hit) with the way they prob want to play (ie viper). if the staff really likes him, which they apparently do, it makes sense to try to find situations to get furbush on the field…maybe its rotating at WDE behind winovich and others or maybe theyre trying him in hybrid looks in certain sets where hes standing up / hand down and able to drop or rush. who knows. but the staff obviously has the creativity so if they have the desire to find a role for furbush, they likely will, even if its a small one

Painter Smurf
          Participant

Not sure about Mone. He is going into year four with 14 tackles in 21 games played. I know he has had multiple injuries, but he has gotten too much off season hype over the years (3rd greatest talent on team, going to beat out Glasgow, etc.). What has worried me is that he looked decent in snaps early on, but has not taken any major steps forward from my eyes. We’ll see.

Lanknows
      Participant

The biggest worry there is Mone. Not too surprising given that Hurst, Gary, and Kemp seemed to be leading in hype through the spring.

Can’t say I’m surprised by Solomon struggling to transition from HS. Of course there is time to get better.

Hadn’t heard Furbush to DE since he was a recruit but that’s what many thought. Looks like he can play, but there’s only room for 2 LBs most times. Get your best on the field.

Great to hear about Dwumfour and Jeter. I’m penciling them into the top 8 for now.

Thanks for the update!

Roanman
      Participant

Maybe it’s just that Kugler has ben good.

TheWolverines24
      Participant

Any rumblings on the WRs?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.