|Jim Harbaugh (left), Tyrone Wheatley (right), and some guy (middle)
Here are some updated rumors and speculation about the open coaching positions on Michigan’s staff.
1. Jim Harbaugh, Head Coach/Quarterbacks: Signed, sealed, and delivered (LINK). Next.
2. Tim Drevno, Offensive Coordinator/Offensive line: Drevno, the USC offensive line coach and run game coordinator, is coming to Michigan (LINK). He was announced on Friday as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, so it sounds as if he will be by himself with the offensive line, although he will certainly get some help from a graduate assistant or the like (LINK).
3. Quarterbacks: Former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch looks like the guy here (LINK), and he is expected to be the passing game coordinator as well.
4. Running backs: Former Buffalo Bills running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley flew into town the other night, and he left Ann Arbor with a job offer. He is expected to accept the role.
Other possibilities: Fred Jackson, Roy Manning
5. Wide receivers: Rumors appeared on New Year’s Eve that 49ers wide receiver coach John Morton was expected to join Michigan’s staff, but those rumors have disappeared in favor of San Jose State offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Jimmie Dougherty. Dougherty has been the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the past two seasons, and he worked for Harbaugh at San Diego.
Other possibilities: Erik Campbell, Ronald Curry, Jeff Hecklinski, John Morton
6. Defensive coordinator/linebackers: Florida defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin is now Michigan defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin (LINK), and he has already started using his connections in the south to send out a couple offers (LINK).
7. Defensive line: Former Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Mattison will presumably be the defensive line coach now that Durkin is officially confirmed as the linebackers coach.
Other possibility: Roy Manning
8. Cornerbacks: Michigan cornerbacks coach Roy Manning has been heavily rumored to be staying around on staff, and it was reported that he already interviewed for a job. Whether he gets that job or not remains to be seen, but he does have a year of coaching the position under his belt now.
Other possibility: Greg Jackson
9. Safeties: San Francisco 49ers defensive backs coach Greg Jackson reportedly contacted Louisiana defensive end Jalen Bates, a guy with a Michigan offer who committed to Arizona State. Bates’s cousin is former Michigan linebacker Jonas Mouton. Unless this is like Vince Marrow contacting Chris Clark for no reason at all, it looks like Jackson will be coaching some/all of the defensive backs. Meanwhile, Michigan safeties coach Curt Mallory has been hired at Wyoming (LINK), so he’s not going to return.
Other possibility: Roy Manning
10. Special teams/tight ends: It was reported last night that former Fresno State and USC special teams coach John Baxter will be the guy here (LINK). I also expect Baxter to help out with the tight ends.
11. Strength and conditioning: Stanford strength and conditioning coordinator Shannon Turley apparently agreed to come to Michigan and then reneged. The next most option seems to be Kevin Tolbert, who had been Harbaugh’s strength and conditioning coach with the 49ers and for a couple years at Stanford. Tolbert is a Navy grad and former football player, and he also spent eight years working under Mike Gittleson, Michigan’s former S&C coach prior to Rich Rodriguez’s hiring. Tolbert is all but officially confirmed, so I will have a post on him soon.
Other possibility: ???