Thunder: Kareem Walker

Home Forums Forum Thunder: Kareem Walker

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Big_H
      Participant

Thunder,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on Kareem Walkers running abilities..

From only having watched his highlights a couple times he just doesn’t seem to scream #1 running back to me. He doesn’t seem that fast or quick. He doesn’t churn the pile for more yards. Maybe just not that overall powerful? Seems to have nice vision, but will he be fast enough to hit the hole after he finds it.. idk. The guy just looks to be slightly above average player, but once he gets to college I feel like he will just be average.

I think he is a really solid player and a nice pick up, but still not the star we are looking for.

Can you give me some of your thoughts on him and tell me what you see? Maybe give me a comparison or two.

Thanks!!

Thunder
      Keymaster

Just like with Derrick Green a few years back, I agree that Walker’s not the #1 back in the country. He’s not great at any one thing. However, I think he is good in all phases of the game (except perhaps pass blocking, which is often a struggle for young players). He has good vision, has good speed, has good agility, has good strength, has good leg drive, etc. I think if you look at all those categories, you’re probably giving him 4 out of 5 stars in each one.

The nice thing about him is that he does not have any of those glaring weaknesses that you see with Michigan’s other backs. Derrick Green doesn’t run through contact, De’Veon Smith is slow, Ross Douglas is small/lacking strength, Drake Johnson is average in many categories, etc. At times Drake Johnson, though, has looked like the best back, and I think that’s because he’s well rounded. So if you take Johnson, upgrade him in each of those categories, you’ve got Kareem Walker.

I don’t know that I have a great comparison when it comes to Michigan. Going a ways back, maybe someone like Ricky Powers.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.