4* Dylan McCaffery
      4* Brad Hawkins

Plus a few quality 3*’s

umbig11
      Participant

Oops, add 4* Luiji Vilain to the list.

Thunder
      Keymaster

I’ve been thinking about this lately, too, in regard to the countdown. I feel like this is a much more talented roster than we’ve had in recent years. There are still going to be washouts and guys who can’t crack the starting lineup, but I’m seeing guys in the 80s that probably would have been ranked in the 60s in prior years.

Lanknows
      Participant

The future is bright. For 2017:

-DL contributions are needed and expected. Solomon, Hudson and Vilain immediately enter the mix. We’ll find out how quickly (and if) they can catch up to guys likes Jeter, Marshall, Dwumfour in the battle for backup snaps.

-LB status is similar to DL with 2 key distinctions: experience is more important and rotation less likely. Michigan needs to develop backups but it doesn’t have to play them much. Expect one freshman to emerge and the others to red-shirt, though LBs often help in special teams.

-Hawkins as a safety who will also practice at WR and should red-shirt in an ideal world. But his status as a post-grad may make him less inclined to accept that outcome. He could be a special teams contributor a la Dymonte Thomas. He is theoretically behind Glasgow and Woods but could be needed to catch up fast if injuries strike. Guessing he plays.

-Contributions from freshman OL are not optimal and generally indicative of depth problems. Hopefully they all can red-shirt.

-WR contributions are probably dependent on a scheme shift to more 4-wide sets. The summer arrivals are going to face an uphill battle to pass Crawford, McDoom, DPJ, Black, etc. Some rumblings Martin may be used for punt returns but that’s not always a job a freshman will be entrusted with.

-Red-shirting freshman RB is not optimal. You can either play or you can’t and Samuels and Taylor will be given a chance to contribute right away. M has solid depth at RB so it’ll be an uphill battle for both, but if Samuels is a future star expect him to see the field in 2017 in one way or another.

-McCaffrey should, hopefully, red-shirt like almost any QB should.

Expected impact players: Robbins, Hudson or Solomon, Villain, Samuels, Hawkins, maybe one of the LBs or WRs.

ragingbull
      Participant

given the depth and talent across the 2 large 16-17 classes, it can be easy to gloss over or underrate some promising prospects when analyzing or discussing the roster and incoming class.

for example, robbins could have a significant impact on this falls team and the team next 4 years. i have no idea how talented he is but it sounds like many are expecting him to immediately compete for starting punting gig. i realize hes rated #1 and assume hes got a powerful leg but can he kick under pressure, does he get sufficient hang time, will he help his coverage team keep returners in check, can he directionally kick, can he work the ball at will to all areas of the field, does he have touch to pin it inside the 20? basically, can the kid consistently execute most punts required to truly impact a big time college game? and do so as a frosh?

bc if so, if he can match allen and oneill during his frosh year, hell be a huge asset. bomb some 50-60 yarders to flip the field, consistently pin teams inside the 20 to allow what should be a solid D to put in work, etc – i dont think any current punters can consistently do those things (at least based on what ive heard and little ive seen) so if robbins can do that, itll significantly impact ST and really help the O and D and this team get wins.

too many people seem to undervalue special teams and the impact it can have (i loved watching peppers on D but he was insanely good in terms of judgement and fielding of kicks and saving every single yard possible for his squad – very impressive and very underrated). many notice game winning kicks or muffed punts or whatever but consistently flipping the field when possible, winning field position, limiting returns, consistently pinning teams deep in their own territory, etc – its all key and it all wins games.

so hopefully robbins is not just the #1 rated punter but hes able to immediately step in and make an impact. and if so he could be the most underrated recruit in this massive, deep talented class of 30. im psyched about st juste, woods, honingford, paye, jeter, mason, etc – i think theyre all underrated and all should eventually earn roles, though to varying degrees of course (and some sooner than later) – but robbins could be the most signifcant of the underrated prospects if hes really that good. a 4 year starter they can truly rely on? im all for it.

sorry, long rambling post to make sort of basic point

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.