|#9 Marell Evans is back on the team|
At the coaches’ pre-spring press conference yesterday, it was officially noted that linebacker Marell Evans has returned to Michigan’s team. This isn’t news for anyone who paid attention to various Facebook and Twitter posts, which revealed that he had been working out with the team in the offseason. This is the same Marell Evans who transferred away from Michigan back in 2009, and I can’t remember the last time a Michigan player enrolled at a school, transferred away, and then transferred back. This is truly a unique situation.
Anyway, in his sayonara post, I wrote, “It’s unclear where Evans will wind up, but most kids who transfer seem to end up closer to home and at a slightly smaller program.” Sure enough, Evans transferred to Hampton University, which is approximately 1.5 hours away from his home in Varina, Virginia (just outside Richmond). As far as I can tell, he played sparingly in 2009 and not at all in 2010.
So let’s recount the career of Evans:
- 2007: Burns his redshirt running downfield on special teams
- 2008: Starting SAM linebacker for the Utah game; backup SAM/WILL for rest of year
- 2009: Moved to outside linebacker in spring; transferred to play linebacker at Hampton
- 2010: Sat out the 2010 season for reasons that are unclear
- 2011: Transferred back to Michigan with one year of eligibility remaining
You need to login in order to vote